Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 3/4: Living Local (aka Loca!) in Gore...

A great morning of exploring. The best Seafood Chowder of My Life in Niagra Falls Cafe (and headlock after)...
A Seal...
Joining the mornings surf lessons.
Yellow eyed Penguins at low tide...
Southernmost Point in New Zealand!!

Only down from here...

The wind picked up and a nice storm

rolled in as we made our way to the last lighthouse

Then it was off to Nikki and Murray's Farm in Gore!!!


Lonely planet says the only reason to stop in this town is for the annual country music festival.

I beg to differ after our experience here.

Time for some good ole farming!


We weren't sure what to expect when we arrived.

I was more than pleasantly surprised when we pulled up to the farm.

Murray and Nikki showed us to our cottage and told us dinner would be ready soon.

Our "cottage" was a lovely 3 bedroom like a home.


Dinner was a proper NZ meal.

Lamb, so tender. so delicious...


and lots of wine.


The mayor of Gore even joined us!

Unfortunately I didn't get a key to the city.


Nikki is a ravishing cook and hostess,

and Murray,

perfect to entertain the guests.

When he found out where I lived, he pulled out the encyclopedia and started reading to us about Nantucket.


After dinner,

I had the pleasure of petting their Monstrous deaf pig who I fell in love with immediately

before running off to get some sleep.

I had a big day in the morning.


It was a dream come true, the one and only thing I wanted to do before I left New Zealand, sheering a Sheep!!!!

And I got more than just that.

I even got to perform a bit of sheep herding.

Murray said i was a natural.

The pictures speak for themselves.

Time to catch one...


Everyone failed to mention how much energy it takes to sheer an entire lamb as you can see. I was exhausted!


At the end of the day, we were invited over for a wee drink. Apparently wee means 8 bottles of Sav and 1 pinot noir, and includes staying up until 2 am.


When I woke up, I walked outside and somehow the Rams had gotten out of the shed!! The front gate was open and they were roaming around. Thank god they weren't smart enough to realize, and they didn't wander into the road.

Gore is one place you need to stop and when you do make sure you find some people just as wonderful as our hosts Nikki and Murray.


This was hands down the highlight of the South Island for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment