Monday, March 15, 2010

When in Kaka (haha) Point...


It's been a crazy 3 weeks!


I finished my last day of work, sad but true. Already missing all of the crazy times at Barmuda and the wonderful people I had the great pleasure of working with for 3 months in Queenstown.


With that being said, I was off for some fun adventures, not knowing really what to expect because I literally never left the city for the 3 months I was there.


What would the rest of New Zealand be like? Would it be bigger smaller?


For better or for worse, I was on my way.


DAY 1


First stop.


The Caitlins, located at the Southern most part of the South Island. As our lonely planet guide so graciously stated, on a great day you'll never want to leave. In a southerly you'll go running, kicking and screaming.


We set up camp just one block from the beach.

Being the outdoorsy girl I am, I decided we should stay in a 3 man tent.

We used a brick we found by the bush to hammer it in the ground.

It only took about 20 minutes; 15 minutes too long.

I was the only one who had been camping before, so naturally I was a pro at it.


After setting up shop, it was time for a glass of red!! The pub I chose, the only pub in Kaka Point, where the owner was the bartender, and then a customer at the end of his shift. I couldn't understand a word he said, Just smile and nod, smile and nod when ordering.


I happily got my mini pinot noir, plopped down on the cozy couch, and rested my glass on the hand carved lighthouse table. As I was sipping, I noticed a couple sitting next to me. The woman looked so cheery. I gave her a smile and we began conversing. I invited her and her husband over for a drink because I make friends with everyone I meet. Never met a stranger...


I told them my story of what I was doing here and my obsession with sheep, and it turned out Nikki and Murray owned a farm in Gore! They invited us to stay in their cottage. So psyched. We swapped info, and went back to the campsite.


I had a nice buzz and a large case of the giggles after my 3 glasses of wine. Went into the kitchen for a midnight snack of canned tuna and crackers with the All-In-One fork, knife spoons we had purchased at the Warehouse (pretty much like Walmart). I am positive the 3 Germans inside thought I was a crazy American. All I remember them saying was something about Sandflies at Milfred Sound? I may have woken up half of the campsite from my loudmouth laughter. I pulled out the Airplane Size Sauvy B and drank it in the tent before falling fast asleep in my glowworm like ca-coon of a sleeping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment