Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 5/6 Sleeping with the Sandflies


It was sad to retire the farm, but we had more exploring to do.


Te Anau was next on our list, the largest lake in the South Island.


Upon arrival, we hopped on a water taxi to the 3 hour walking track in the rainforrest along the beach and hiked back into town. The hike was lingering, but smooth sailing along the beach and through the lush rainforrest. Near the end, we stumbled upon an outdoor bird park that kept my ADD mind busy for a while.


We chose to stay in a cabin just incase of rain as it is the norm 180 days of the year here.


Off to Milford Sound,

undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places in the world.

We signed up for the 9 am boat cruise and made it literally 2 minutes before take off by running the entire 700 meters from the carpark! Waiting for the boat to take off, I noticed an itch...


The Sandflies!!


It was then that I remembered the words of the Germans from the campgrounding Kaka Point. Luckily I brought the OFF!


The frigid morning air bit my nose as we took off. The low hanging clouds and morning haze soon wore off and the waterfalls, mountains, birds and seals were breathtaking!!

All the scenery was worth the aftermath of my toes being completely numb and stinging, my hair a wet moppy mess, and my nose like rudolph on a cold winters day.


After the 90 minute cruise we set off for a few more walks.


I catch site of THE CHASM, the most magnificent powerful waterfall I have seen. You MUST SEE this waterfall!!!!! The pictures do NO justice as there is a 20 meter drop from the top. The Rock formations carved out by the rough water are magnificent. Sorry, not giving out any pictures of this one. You will just have to see it yourself!


Also hiked the first part of the famous Routburn Track, to the Key Summit.

Many Oohs and ahhs along the way.

This is my view from the top of the Summit Peak.


After our hike we stopped through Te Anu to grab a coffee for the ride back to Queenstown. I only found it fitting that I should play my Guitar on the sidewalk because I was now officially homeless again.

No longer a key on my Tiffanys keychain.

After about 30 seconds, I was over the moment and hopped back in our car (which looks like a box it's so small) and drove back to Queenstown.

No comments:

Post a Comment