Monday, January 18, 2010

Kiwi-ism's...

For the 6 weeks I have been in New Zealand, I've been introduced to a whole new vocabulary, constantly learning new words, (words that I don't think really exist in the dictionary)...

As I walked through town I stirred up an interesting conversation with a bystander. I told him my plan to relax by the lake for the rest of the day, he replied "Sweet ASS!" I was astonished and appalled that people were so blunt here. The next few days I kept hearing the catch phrase over and over and.... finally realized, these people were not commenting on the Hot Asse's of Queenstown, but Saying Sweet As! Which means, cool, awesome, or ... as the kiwi's also say mean or, my favorite, MINT!


..."All good?" My roommate Caleb would say this to me every time I came in the room. At first I though he was genuinely concerned about my well being, maybe because I had been drinking so much, Yes, I was pretty sure this was it! but in reality he was basically asking how my day was.

A few others;

Heaps: I know this one, but just haven't heard it in a while.

Togs: swim suit

Lilo: A floaty for the water

Jandels is the word kiwi's use for men's sandals. I still prefer to call them mandals.

I also find myself putting accents in sentences where they don't belong, because in the land of Kiwi-ism it is appropriate. And I am catching on wayyyy too fast.

Meeting local New Zealanders, more specifically Queenstowners can be a real challenge. I've found that most of the people you'll meet here are from London or are on a traveling Visa as well, and just working for a few months to enjoy the country. I lucked out and ended up living with 2 locals!!


The Queenstown, lifestyle is very different from anything I have ever experienced. The typical 9 to 5 job is Jumping out of a plane for 8 hours a day at 20,000 ft, flying a helicopter miles high, driving a jet boat through rough terrain while thrilling your new tourist friends, packing parachutes, operating the zip line, driving a tour bus full of rowdy hungover backpackers, or guiding people on amazing walks through the nearby rainforrest.

The life simple, meaningful, beautiful for some.

The life is fast, dangerous and nuts for others.

I am getting the best of both worlds.

Living local is living crazy.

In Q-Town, Everything is extreme from the sports to the drinking.

Welcome to Crazytown...

1 comment:

  1. You know you're getting the hang of Kiwi when you luck "in", not out!

    ReplyDelete