Thursday, February 11, 2010

3 2 1.....Jump!

I don't think anything could ever top what I did today. Literally the most exciting thing I have ever done in my life.

Today I went Skydiving...

We had the go big or go home mentality, so obviously we chose the highest possible jump at 15,000 ft and a 60 second freefall.

The anxiety built as we drove to the drop zone. I arrived, and Polly, my flatmates girlfriend, checked us in. I suited up, tightened my shoelaces, and tightly pulled back my hair into a low ponytail. We were then taken outside for a briefing, and it was just that: "brief", about 30 seconds.
Basically what I got out of it was head back legs back, feet together. Just like a banana! (there was even a picture of one on the card).

I jumped with my flatmate Kaleb and Samantha with my other mate Greg.

As we boarded the plane, I was squished in and straddled behind and in front of the other jumpers and photographers (9 people in all). No seat belts. So much for safety precautions. It took about 10 minutes to reach the 12,000 ft, where the first jumper went. He basically looked like he was going to pee his pants or puke all over Sams face.

We flew up higher to our destination and then Samantha went. Her face was priceless. Excited, surprised. Greg flipped her over when they jumped out!!

As I scooted over to the edge for my turn, I felt like I was going to fall off the edge, I don't even think I was sitting on anything!!! There was a pause, enough time to smile for the camera, and then Caleb rocked back and forth, for what I thought was going to be 3 times, but he surprised me and we fell out on 2!! The initial rush was like the biggest roller coaster (Kindga Ka, Six Flags, NJ) x's 100!! and then you just keep falling and the feeling goes away, and you keep falling, and falling, and falling, and falling, my goggles moved a bit and I couldn't breathe for about 20 seconds I am guessing (which felt like forever). But OMG, amazing, I have never felt anything like this, such a high.

When you get down a ways they pull the shoot and you are basically flying around for a while. Caleb even let me "drive". Wow the trust, I started swinging around a bit in circles and he told me I had to give it back to him so I didn't hit the others.

The landing was pretty fun. We landed standing up, luckily not in the field next door like the person after us did.

This is something I think everyone (who has the balls) should experience in their lifetime.

BY FAR my best day in Queenstown, and most definitely the biggest thrill of my life!!!

Breakfast at Joes: $20
2 PuMp Waters: $4.25
15,000 ft jump: $399
Pictures and Video: Normally $219, For us $20 (thanks guys)
The feeling you get from jumping 15,000 ft and a 60 second freefall; priceless!

Well, just see for yourself...

No comments:

Post a Comment