Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sometimes Roads Lead To Nowhere...

My daytime adventure Queen buddy and I set out for another conquest.
Destination: Jacks Point.
And I actually made it this time...

Jacks Point is an amazing Golf Course on the outskirts of Queenstown overlooking the lake.
According to their website, the land is limited to only 5% development to preserve the beauty of the area, and is one of New Zealand's National Treasures. Below, a picture I found on google image:
It was a brutally windy day, so the ride was 10x's harder. We were so glad to have ridden to Arrowtown first because it made this one feel like Cake!

On our way in we saw a "CONSTRUCTION" road entrance that was a shortcut to the Jacks Point which we later decided to exit the course from.
KEEP THIS IN MIND...

When we arrived at the entrance, I had no other option but to chase my favorite fluffy friends around the field.
Lesson #1: Sheep are much faster than their fat, lazy bodies appear.

We rode to the Clubhouse, grabbed a map of the course of which there are several trails, and started walking.
We ended up along the water and discover some stunning views...
Me testing the water...
And deciding it is far too cold for a swim today!
We ended up going way past the turning point back, and realized that the signs were not really much help as well as the maps we had taken. We eventually found our way to the clubhouse 2 1/2 hours later.

Lesson #2: Don't always rely on the map.

We hopped back on our bikes and decided to take the detour we spotted earlier. We made a left turn down the ONLY road we saw to our left, because this would OBVIOUSLY lead us straight back out to the main road.
Seeing the "Construction only" signs, we knew we were on the right path...

until we ended up at a dead end after flying downhill on our bikes for 2 minutes.

We had 2 choices.
#1 Ride all the way back up the hill to the Entrance
#2 Climb our way out through the massive ditch/hill/whatever the hell it was.

Being adventurous (or just too lazy to ride back) we chose the ditch. We trudged through the field with weeds, dried grass, and sticky bushes up to our waste along the side and down the hill for a while until we came to a crossing.

Mairi went first.
It looked so easy from this point.
We thought the hard part was over.
Mairi took a step and....
She SANK about a foot and a half into water.
She dropped her bike and started yelling, "aggghhh!!!!! Water!!! aghhhh!!!!"

I was in the background laughing hysterically, so hard I almost began to cry.
Her bike was now laying in the middle of the ditch; her socks and shoes drenched.

My turn...

I threw my bike over as far as I could, but it didn't make it.

I got a running start,
thinking if I ran fast enough,
I would pull a "Jesus" and walk on water or something?!

To my dismay, I ended up sopping wet from the calves down as well.

Time to pull out our bikes...
We got them out, and then realized we had to scale a barbwire fence, after throwing our bikes over it. We made it out with not one scratch or bruise. A high five and 2 smiling faces later, we were on our way home.

Lesson #3: Sometimes roads lead to nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment